Monday, January 10, 2022

Mixed Media Canvas - Make Nice Things

 I think I'm in love with this color scheme and style. I come back to it over and over. A wood theme mixed with "fall" like colors catches my eye every day of the week. I try many different techniques and color schemes, but this one is by far my absolute favorite.


Without further ado, here is my project, completely inspired by the photo above. I hope you are inspired too. Supply list is below.


I'm always on the prowl for interesting shapes and textures that I can use as a canvas for mixed media projects. The base is one of three cutting boards I found at Home Goods (on sale). That's right . . . a "cutting board". 
Even though I essentially made this one up in my head, it came together beautifully using 
techniques I've picked up in the last couple years. 


I knew I wanted to use teal on my leaf fillers, but didn't want "perfection". Then I remembered my distressed embossed powder. It's the only one I have but, really, you only need one or two distressed colors in your stash.


I knew I wanted to create a distinct border between the dark and light. Art Stones to the rescue! Get out a plastic cup, add art stones of your choice and size (I did all three), add soft gloss gel, color and finally I added black gesso cause the mix was too gray.


I love tucking little charms into my pieces. They are never the main focus, but rather for anyone to find them if they are truly looking. I almost always add chipboard letters to my pieces as well. It's an easy and cheap way to add "extra life" to your pieces.

Thanks for stopping by today!!!

Supplies:

Lindy's Colors:
  1. Magical Shaker Black Forest Black
  2. Flat Tweedle Dee Denim
  3. Starburst Tainted Love Teal
  4. Embossing Powder Spanish Moss Green

Finnabair colors:
  1. Opal Magic Teal/Pink
  2. Metallique Ancient Coin - highlights

Tim Holtz's Distress Embossing Powder Vintage Photo

Finnabair Chipboard and Mechanical Woodland Ferns
Finnabair Art Stones - all three sizes
Scrapaholics Chipboard - houses

Die Cut Fern and leaf fillers

49 and Market Flowers

Base - Cutting Board found at Home Goods

Art Melange Pebbles

White Gesso - Splashes

Folk Art Crackle Medium - Black part of canvas

Chipboard letters and metal charm watch

No comments:

Post a Comment