Sunday, August 15, 2021

Mixed Media - Dreams Received

 Hello there!! I made this piece as part of an up-cycle challenge using ReneaBouquet's products at Scrapbook.com. 

My up-cycle product is COASTERS. That's right, the background of large circles are old coasters that I was tired of using.

There are so many variations of mixed media that I could have used to make this piece but I decided to stick with my absolute favorites technique...black gesso and waxes with the color scheme of denim and orange. All supplies are listed below.

Thanks for stopping by today!!


When working with Finnabair waxes, remember to go from dark to light. All the pieces were first covered in black gesso individually. I then added the background coasters and layered wax colors peacock, denim and blue lagoon using a really stiff brush. Then I built and glued the rest of the pieces and walked away, letting the glue settle and dry. This ensures the pieces stay in place when I work with the final colors. I added layers of meteor showers, firebird, and aged brass (in that order) to the elements. Lastly, I highlighted (especially faces) the pieces with white gold.


There is a window frame behind the dream catcher to help build up the piece and give it more of
 a 3-D look. The main focus is obviously the dream catcher but I can never resist adding more 
elements to my art. I love wings and flowers almost equally. The dream catcher, the wings and the flowers are all from ReneaBouquets online store.


Instead of adding a "dreamy" title, I decided to go with a Finnabair stamp mould "received". I really like how it contrasts against the beautiful, intricate pieces from ReneaBouquet.

Supplies:

8 x 8 Wood panel (Michael's)
Wooden Letters (Hobby Lobby)
Old Coasters (Up-Cycled)
Wooden Window (Hobby Lobby)

Beautiful Board Dream Catcher
Beautiful Board Wings
Handmade flowers - chocolate

Finnabair products:
Black Gesso
Moulds
Waxes:
    Old Denim, Peacock, Blue Lagoon
    Meteor Showers, Firebird, Aged Brass, White Gold




1 comment:

  1. This is just Stunning! Thanks for showing your process with layering the waxes.

    ReplyDelete