Saturday, May 2, 2020

Steampunk Canvas - Fortnite Gaming Canvas

Today's post is all about the journey to the making of this piece, in which the whole family was involved!!!! Supplies listed below.

I just loved the piece by Anika Blumenthal named House of Imagination. I have made several pieces based on her original video and flow of how she applied the waxes. By keeping the two color schemes separate, the art really pops. When I stepped into the world of steampunk (and this style specifically), my husband and son really perked up. So much so that my visionary 13 year old asked, "Mom, can you make me a Fortnite scrapbook page so I can hang it in my room?"

Me, "Oh? Do you want a page or a steampunk piece like this star?"

Son, "Piece like the star."

Me, "What kind of base do you want? Star? Circle? Square? Rectangle?"

Son, "The map of Fortnite."

Wow. Alrighty then.


I went shopping online for several days. I had it in my head that I really needed more "boy" like molds to work with and I had my heart set on pipes and anything else I could find.

First, I ended up at Etsy where I discovered the GamerGirl Mold. I just HAD to have that. THREE days later I finally came across Katy Sue Designs based both here and in the U.K. I could have bought so many fabulous molds that I had to restrain myself to just two,  the "rusty pipes" and "iron alphabet" (to be used later).  (There is the nasty little thing called a "budget" that I need to live by.)


The next stage was the title and map. I was able to download the font style for free, in which I cut out the font using SCAL4 and my silhouette (about 2"). Next, I went hunting for the Fortnite map. I dusted off some serious Pixelmator and SCAL4 skills. I outlined a map in Pixelmator, then took that image and traced it into my SCAL4 program. The map is about 10" is diameter.


Finally came my husband! He took the cutouts (letters and map), traced onto a wood sheet, then used his "wood cutting machine thingy" to cut out the pieces.


My son knew what colors he wanted so all I really had to do next was build the composition.....


It was a happy ending!!!

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY TODAY!!
Supplies:

Finnabair:

Heavy Black Gesso

TCW Stencil - Riveted
Dylusions Stencil - Numbers

Modeling Paste

Finnabair Moulds:
Suns and Moons
Roman Numerals
Cogs and Wings

Katy Sue Designs Molds:
Rusty Pipes

TheDecodenDiva: Gamer Girl Mold

Creative Embellishments chipboard;
Scribble Bulbs

Dusty Attic Chipboard

Tim Holtz Grungeboard

Metal Embellishments

Waxes:
(In order used)

Turquoise Satin - base
Peacock - 2nd layer base

Hint: When working with black gesso, it's important to go from dark to light.
--Everything else:
Amethyst Magic
Red Amber
Fire Ruby (just a smidgen)
Vintage Gold
White Gold (highlights)

No comments:

Post a Comment